All times are UTC

Install button simply loops back... Failure. {:(}
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:38 pm 

Hello there. I'm a complete novice at setting up Web servers. Even though I've heard about PHP for some time, this will also be my first exercise involving PHP.

This is the problem I've run in to:

I've transferred the files and folders belonging to Phonora 2.0 (Free/Std) to my public_html folder, which is also where my Web server is located. I'm Linux based.

When I click on this URL,

http://localhost/photogallery/install/index.php

the PHP script seems to run server-side. It tells me that everything checks out:

System Self Check

Action Status
../photos/ writable Yes
../photos/temp writable Yes
../photos/thumbnails writable Yes
Connection to Database Succeeded

In green. Reassuringly, when I made a password error with my MySQL database, the last entry was not a success, and the PHP script complained successfully about not being able to access MySQL.

Officially, my libraries meet all the system requirements for Phonora 2.0 .

Yet, when I click on the Install >> button, the page simply reloads unchanged (no install wizard).

Also, when I click on the View Source menu command within my browser, the PHP-generated HTML line

<input type='submit' name='Submit' value='Install >>' />

is conspicuously missing an onclick= tag parameter.

What could I be missing?

Dirk

Last edited by dirkmittler on Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Install button simply loops back... Progress.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:43 am 

The main problem which I'm running in to, is that my Web server is Python-Twisted.Web. By itself, it would like to call /usr/bin/php in order to parse PHP pages server-side. But on my system, the PHP command-line isn't suitable for CGI. There is a command named /usr/bin/php-cgi which is.

So I needed to define a resource script, which overrides the handler for PHP scripts, and send them to /usr/bin/php-cgi instead.

This has allowed me to install the software, and to create the database tables.

But one problem which I still seem to be facing, is that after I go into my admin panel, I'm asked to log in, which I do. And although my username and password are correct, the panel just reverts to showing my the log-in view again. I never get to see the second menu.

If I intentionally misspell my password, then this admin panel additionally tells me that the password is incorrect, in red. But even if this message does not show, I still don't get past the log-in view.

And the panel always allows me to log out, regardless of whether I'm logged in or not.

Strange.
Dirk

Re: Install button simply loops back... Progress.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:39 pm 

(Sorry to bump.)

One piece of information that would be particularly helpful for me to know, is whether Phonora requires that a very specific PHP module be installed.

For example, I do notice that the photogallery/index.php script has been obfuscated, and of course I'd never try to reverse engineer it. But then, could this also prevent that script from running properly, if some sort of encryption/serialization module was missing from my PHP setup?

Dirk

P.S. A part of me worries also, that Phonora developers might be assuming a Windows-based environment, in which the GD graphics library comes as a self-extracting installer, that installs it in several places. Under Linux, libgd2 is broken up into multiple packages. 'libgd2' and such actually consist of runtime libraries, used by applications such as yours. But then there are also the Debian packages 'php4-gd' and 'php5-gd', which provide PHP bindings and make GD functions accessible from within a pure PHP script. Next, in case some applications do what they might, and invoke external executable programs, there is the Debian package 'libgd-tools', which provides several binary programs on the command-line.

But in any case, I have every GD2 package installed, which I could find, since there are also the 'libgd1' -based packages. So this should not be the problem.

P.S.S. I've observed that the main .PHP File which Phonora uses for its administrator panel, is copyrighted code, that serves as an example of a script, which is followed with data compressed in base-64 format. This is because Parallelex wants to sell paid-for versions of their product eventually. But because many Debian-based Linux distributions break up the PHP modules into packages in idiosyncratic ways, I may simply be missing the PHP library, which the script needs in order to extract itself fully. So only the part of the script which is obfuscated, and yet which forms legal PHP code, seems to be running on my setup. And my guess at this point, is that Debian/Etch may not even offer the 'libphp...' add-on package that should do the extraction. Debian/Etch has further been frozen from any new development, because it's outdated. Yet, my Web server is still on a Debian/Etch system.

And yet they can get away with offering us "makeself" ...

And so with much reluctance I've had to switch to another product, which is also PHP-hosted, Ajax-based software, and which runs fine on my Python-Twisted.Web server. For this reason I'm considering my .RPY resource script for Twisted.Web actually to be a success, because at least I can get the .PHP Scripts from the other developer to run fully. PHP is initially foreign to Python-Twisted.Web. It would have been nice to go with Phonora Std/Branded, because Phonora offers some features with the other guy doesn't have. But in my life I must also move on. {:(}

Re: Install button simply loops back... Failure. {:(}
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Dirk,

From the login issue you are facing, it tells me that maybe your cookies are disabled on your machines. You must enable cookies as Phonora stores info in the cookies for you to access the admin panel.

If you purchase a paid version of the product, we will install it for you for free and if it does not work, we will give you a full refund. If you would like us to install the product for you, simply purchase a paid version you desire from: http://www.parallelex.com/phonora-photo ... p?page=buy